Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Big Day

This past weekend, we went to Southhaven, MS to celebrate the high school graduation of my twin nieces, Ashley & Hillary. I shall dispense with the customary "where did all the time go" and "wow, I really feel old now" comments and just say there are times when you feel like you're standing totally still and the world is moving all around you. That's how I felt this weekend. It doesn't seem possible...yet here it is. One of those times... when your mind plays images over and over again and as much as you'd like to slow down the alarming rate at which life moves, there is nothing within your power to do so.


Dear Hillary and Ashley,

What a beautiful weekend we shared with you in celebrating leaving one stage of your life and entering another. In times like these, the word "proud" gets thrown around alot, but take it to heart because you girls have a lot to be proud of, and I am so proud of both of you and the accomplishments you’ve made.

This is typically a hard time in the life of a young person. The world is at your door, yet there is so much fear of the unknown and of leaving the safety net of home and family. I want to encourage you both to face your fears head on…and do hard things. When you face challenges and choose to plough through, you become stronger and more brave…which leads you to take on even more adventures. This is the time…the time you really decide who you are going to be. Some can’t get past the high school years…they cling to those halls and memories, and never quite embrace the field before them.

It’s also the time when you decide who God is to you. He’s no longer just the one you say nighttime prayers to…but the one who longs to hold your hand and walk you through every decision, every question…every circumstance. He is always at work…and He wants you to join Him in His work. My prayer is that you will. I pray you will develop a Kingdom dream…one that will let you see the BIG picture and one that will not allow you to get swallowed up in the status quo. I pray you’ll work hard…and be responsible. I pray you’ll love with abandon…not only those you look like you…but those who don’t. I pray you’ll live a life of sacrifice and service…and not regret that one minute.

And when you make mistakes...and you will, know that there will always be love waiting in the wings for you. Be true to yourself…be true to your God. Hate the devil…and love God with equal resolve. And know that I, for one, am on your side…always. I love you.

2 comments:

Grammy/Mom said...

All I can say is Amen & Amen!!!! As we watched all the videos of the girls growing up....my mind replayed those days over & over....just imagining them playing out in our backyard in Pasadena...jumping on the trampoline...singing with Tiff... so many sweet memories..Yet, here they were...wearing a cap & gown! God gave us special girls...I believe He has some very important work cut out just for them to do. I pray they will always listen to that still small Voice as He speaks. The weekend was so great! Tiresome but awesome at the same time....Precious memories!

lisamichelle said...

Love you Gina!