Sunday, March 22, 2009

ER...and George Clooney Nowhere in Sight

This is what happens when you play King of the Hill, and someone decided to de-throne you. Caleb got two eyes full of mulch...nice dirty, soily, grungy mulch. Beautiful in a flower bed...not so in the eyes.

After many flushings with water, ice packs, a nap, and a shot of ClearEyes, they still weren't better. He was still having trouble opening his eyes and seeing well. Momma called the Dr and the Dr said, go to the Emergency Room. Oh how I wish he would have said, "no more monkeys jumping on the bed." So we go here.

It didn't stop Caleb from looking out of the side of his eyes to watch basketball though. I think there was some big game on or something.

Caleb had a comedian for a doctor...but Caleb's a tough crowd. He did enjoy his eyes being orange though, and we really enjoyed the black light show.

I grabbed my favorite blankie before we left so he'd be all comfy.

This is Caleb's favorite picture...after they dilated his right eye. He thinks he's famous now.

We thought we were getting a pirate patch, but no such luck. This is pretty cool too though.

And of course, we had to go through the Jack in the Box drive-through at about 12:20 a.m. to get his favorite...a chocolate shake.

An opthomologist who was consulted by the ER doctor made special arrangements to see Caleb on Sunday morning...yes, you heard me. A doctor went out of her way to open her office, call in a staff member to get our info, and examine Caleb to see how he did overnight. While it frightened me a little that she actually did that, I was relieved when she told us the corneal abrasion was already healing. Then she told us she would have to take Caleb as payment for a Sunday visit...because the ER had already claimed Cody.

She diagnosed Caleb as having Toxic Conjunctivitis, for which she prescribed liquid gold to drop into his eyes 4 times per day...for 7 days. It seems cheaper when you say the drops only cost $2.96 each time you put them in his eyes...so I'm telling myself that over and over again. She also gave him these super cool shades to wear because he is sensitive to light probably until Monday night.
The best part...Caleb is going to be fine. His eyes will heal...and he will be playing King of the Hill all over again. But only if it snows.

3 comments:

Darla said...

Been there done that! Jacob was two when he swung a Disney movie box and hit his cornea. He took a "chunk" out of it is what our ER doc told us! Luckily the cornea is fast healing but I guess very painful til healed. Of course Jacob didn't talk when he was two so I had no idea it hurt other than I couldn't get him to open his eye! One of those "cool" eye patches and 3 days later he was good as new! Hope he is feeling better!

Kristy said...

Love the dialated eye pic! I know that is going in the scrapbook! I also LOVE your favorite blankie! :) Did you sell any of those while you were up there? I have a cruise to pay for you know! ;)

Anonymous said...

Oh my, the joys of boys...Love you Gina, and I am glad he will be okay soon.