Monday, November 24, 2008

Sweet Mamaw

This is an older picture of my mamaw (looking pretty sassy by the way :)) not long after Alzheimers started stealing her memory. Mamaw, who is almost 90, is in her final hours here on earth, and I have a few things to say to her.

Dear Mamaw,

As our family gathered around your bed tonight and sang Amazing Grace...and followed it by "my chains are gone, I've been set free," I couldn't help but picture you with the chain of Alzheimers gone from around you. In a few short hours, you will no longer fight to remember someone's name or have to be fed by someone else. You will run into the arms of your Savior who will tell you what a great course you ran, and then you will one by one get to love on Papaw, and Bob, and Mamaw Lucy and Auntie, and many others.

And I will miss you...both the Mamaw that I knew years ago and knew me, and the Mamaw that no longer knew my name. I will miss your sweet smile and laugh, and your words that no longer made any sense, but they were important for you to say. I have missed your chocolate pies and cooking for many years, and shelling pecans in your backyard. I miss you taking us to the park and Wisteria Drive. I will miss smelling you in White Shoulders, and you trying to give us money and feed us every time we saw you. Thank you for all the loads of laundry, all the meals, free rent, and taxi service. Thank you for being a wonderful mother, grandmother, and great grandmother to 4 children, 13 grandchildren, and at last count 19 great grandchildren. Your fingerprints are all over them.

I never saw you angry, or bitter...only loving with an unconditional love. What a beautiful and graceful legacy you are leaving to your family. I can't help but think of the words to the song "Home Free"

Home Free, eventually
At the ultimate healing we will be Home Free
Home Free, oh I've got a feeling
At the ultimate healing
We will be Home Free

I'm so thankful you are going to your ultimate healing, and you will finally be Home Free. I'll hold on to all the precious memories until I see you again...my sweet Mamaw.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How sweet - what a lovely tribute for someone who means so much to you & your family. Thanks for sharing this. Please let your family know I am praying for you all.
Debbie (Baker) Taylor

Anonymous said...

MY thoughts and prayer are with you and your family! Your mammaw was a very special woman and Im thankful to have had the chance to know her. She will always hold a special place in my heart!

Gerida Stokes