Thursday, June 26, 2008

This Matters

Most likely this post will sound a little morbid. But I'm intrigued by the human body...and its will to live. In my mom's care home, there is a lady there that is in the process of dying...and it will be soon...that we know. She is no longer coherent and is just having her pain managed at this time. She is peaceful...not fighting to breathe...but her breathing is slowing down minute by minute and she is currently taking about 5 breaths per minute.

We've seen this process several times now at the Home. It shouldn't surprise me, but it always does at how well they can be one day, and then when death comes calling, it can come on you quickly. I say "well", because most of the people have dementias at varying degrees and some have other ailments...but most 'appear' healthy. This lady came to us with some serious problems already. But she is ready...she has told my mom more than once she's ready to go to Heaven. I think that is the neatest thing...when you understand that your last breath here ushers you to the greatest place ever.

What amazes me is that this could go on for days. I've been in the room when you watch someone who is in the process...and you watch them breathe and think every breath...okay, this is it...it's over...and then they'll almost gulp for one more. One of my mom's friends in Houston whose mother had Alzheimers lasted for 19 days in this process...no food, no water...just pain management. That amazes me. It gives the family time to grieve, say goodbye, and hope for that day when they will reconnect.

It's become something my family has gotten accustomed to. Even our kids have been there to see this process...and I have to say, I think we all view death completely different in some ways now. It's almost always more of a joyful time...not in the happy, gleeful way...but in the way of knowing they're so much better off where they're going.

We've heard some of the neatest stories of what kind of impact these people made on everyone they touched. And it gets you thinking of what you spend your life doing...it really matters...I mean really, really matters. Not one family member of any of the families we've gone through this with has mentioned how big their houses were, or what kind of car they drove. Clothes seriously do not matter at this point...and most of them are not wearing any jewelry at all. Most of the conversations had in this process of dying are about how they impacted people's lives...how many years they taught Sunday School, or how they served at their church, or how many souls they won to the Lord. This matters.

Note to Self: Live your life so that at the end that's what my family and friends say about me...how I invested my life in other people, how I volunteered for good things even when I was busy, how I used my money for eternal things. Time flies. This matters.

No comments: