Thursday, June 19, 2008

I'm a New Mom...to a Hamster

Yes, the day has arrived...the day when I gave up my pie in the sky dream of a warm, inviting house that smelled of fresh laundry and vanilla scented candles...to the house where not only a big, black, shedding dog lives...but now a hamster. Yes, I gave in so I could be the cool mom of boys...knowing that's what boys need...right, RIGHT? I mean all the "boy" manuals say they need to be surrounded by things that smell bad and breed bacteria...and things that leave a trail of hair. If I've asked "have you washed your hands...with soap?" once this week, I've asked it a million times.

So, here is our newest family member...Larry Boy. The original name was Perry, but I had flashbacks of the nerdiest kid I used to know named Perry and I just couldn't let Hammy get stuck with that kind of legacy...so they changed it.

The boys paid for this pet with their own money. In fact, they started talking about buying a fish about 3 weeks ago, and knowing that they usually make hasty decisions when they have a buck in their pocket, we made them wait two weeks before making a final decision. I just knew they'd come across a much better plan for spending their money in that two weeks...and while they did come up with a different plan, it was not necessary a better plan...because fish don't have hair or closely resemble rats. That's how good my plan was.

I'm not sure if Abby is scared of him...or wants to eat him for a snack. Here's hoping they're on the same shedding schedule.

1 comment:

Kristy said...

You so know that Abby will end up having Larry Boy as a snack! I hope you can afford the therapy that that will cause! :)