Sunday, May 11, 2008

These Are the Reasons


In my wildest dreams, I would have never thought that motherhood could be this good. Now don't get me wrong...there are times...oh yes, there are times when I'd like to wake up...have NOTHING to do, have no one to feed...no laundry to do...no taxi rides to give. Does that sound harsh? Yes, yes it does, but let's just all be honest that Mommyville is a tiring, tiring place to live. Actually after 2 baseball practices, 5 baseball games, 2 field days, and 1 play practice this week alone, this week could have been nominated for one of those 'Stop the World and Let Me Get Off' weeks. That and the fact that, even after Steve totally bailed me out last week and got every bit of laundry in my house clean, I totally screwed up and let it all pile back up again...I'm a loser. But I digress. Back to Mommyville.

Today (or yesterday since I am still up at 1:42 a.m. on Mother's Day...I know mom, I need more sleep), the boys got up with their alarm early to make me breakfast...which they wanted to serve me in bed...but we had to be at church early so I had to get up before them to start getting ready. To tell the truth...Steve warned me about the surprise the night before so I could be up and ready if the kitchen caught on fire. I normally get breakfast on Mother's Day, but Steve is usually home to help with that. Today, he was at work. But the boys made breakfast for me and it was good...really good...and no fires! I cannot take credit for the least little part of this because I am so not a cook, and really cannot even fake it. That is all Steve's territory and he has done a fine job of passing on that skill.


Both boys gave me cards (Caleb made me an original work of art (totally Caleb), and Cody got me a SpongeBob card that thanked me for always making sure he has clean underpants (totally Cody). They also got me flowers for our front flower bed...and helped me plant them yesterday. They also both told me they liked my song this morning in church...which made me so proud that they were actually listening.


Seriously, I really count it a privilege to be a mommy...I wear the title proudly and...well, God must love me alot to give me the 2 most wonderful boys in the world to raise. Being a mother is one of the most fulfilling things I do in my life. I sang a song this morning about leaving a legacy, and that is my heart's desire. I need to stop and think, 'do I choose to love?...do I point to God enough to make a mark on things?' I want to leave an offering...to be a child of mercy and grace who blessed Your name unapologetically...and leave that kind of legacy. How will they remember me?

I seriously hope I'm not messing them up too much and that their therapy bills won't eat their budget when they're older.

No comments: