Saturday, May 10, 2008

Happy Mother's Day

This is my beautiful mother. I can't do justice with words to say what she means to me, but I want to tell her that I admire her...that I respect her...and that she has made my life so much sweeter with the kind of woman she is. I know there are alot of rocky mother/daughter relationships out there, but we have never had that kind of relationship. And that's not credit to me...that's purely her and the work and love she has poured in to my sisters and I.

She has lived her life in the ministry, supporting my dad, tirelessly and without alot of compensation...to be honest, they lived on very little throughout their ministry. When my dad retired, she took on the huge role of starting a business (IN HER 60's...yeah, did I mention she was strong too?). And this is no stationery business, or selling trinkets in a posh boutique...this is all heart and soul ministry to the elderly. She is a caregiver...and the best one I've seen.

She began that ministry years ago when she helped care for her daddy as he was dying, and then again with my dad's mother. She is now caring for not only her own mother, Mamaw, but 3 other people as well. These are people whom she only met months ago...but she loves them like they're part of her family and she takes care of them with all the dignity and respect that she affords her own mother. She has loved and carried three different families through the death of their loved ones who lived at her house...tenderly caring for them through their last breaths. Not everyone can do this...as I said...she's strong. I think that's where I get my strength from. We Sparkses don't wallow in stuff...we are hard workers and doers. I credit both my parents for that...but who are we kidding...moms set the tone for families.



So thank you mom...for too much to post here...thank you for raising me to love unconditionally...and to love and live for Jesus. Thank you for loving and caring for Mamaw even when she doesn't know you anymore. Thank you for loving Steve and accepting him as a son...even though he likes to have fun at your expense sometimes. And thank you for loving my boys as only a true Grammy can. You make life sweet...and fun...and you give way more than you could ever get back. I love you...to the moon and back.

6 comments:

Grammy said...

Gina,
You astound me....with your love of and use of our wonderful words. I feel so inadequate reading the sweet things you said.

I do know one thing tho...and that is that having you and your sisters were the ultimate gift(s) God gave to me (other than salvation)......because He believed He could trust me with your lives........to mold for & teach you about Him and how to serve Him with your whole heart. If I deserve any praise, it is because you all do love Him and serve Him with your lives.

I had a good teacher for a Mom...she was the best....and because of her...Loraine Wright Looper........you all have the mother you do today.

Jesus...Family...all for one and one for all! That's what she taught.....and I pray that is what ya'll caught from me....I believe it is. I am so proud to be your Mom!

lisamichelle said...

Gina...on one of your other posts you said you wish you could write songs like that (natalie grant) but girlfriend....you have always known how to say what we all feel with words....I love you...you are a great mom!

NanaBaker said...

Gina - what an incredible and beautiful tribute to your precious mama. I'm with Lisa - I think you could certainly write a song - or three. =) I know your mom and dad are SO proud of their girls and all the 'grands'. We Bakers are the ones most blessed to have crossed paths, and shared laughter and good times, with the Sparks family. May God bless each of you richly. XO

Kristy said...

G -
I'm here in tears - hoping to one day be the mom that you and Grammy are. We are blessed beyond measure to be a part of your lives.

Love you -
Kris

Gerida said...

Your mom sent this link to me to see Mrs. Loraine! I miss her :( But I also wanted to share with that I think your blog was wonderful!! Hope you had a great Mother's Day!

Anonymous said...

you are a GREAT Mom...a GREAT sister & friend! Everything you said is true...we have the BEST Mom and what a great inspiration for us! Love ya!