Monday, June 15, 2009

Happy Birthday Caleb

Dear Caleb,

Ten years ago today, you changed my life. I never thought I could love another baby as much as your brother, but the day I found out you were growing inside of me, I fell in love with you and discovered just how much my heart could expand and grow.

When Cody was a little over a year old, your daddy and I started talking about having another baby. I was so close to my sisters and daddy was close to his brother, and we wanted him to have someone like that...someone he could depend on, be friends with, and of course, look after us when we got old. We really had just begun discussing it over a few weeks, when I started feeling a little different. My pants were starting to get tighter, and it was getting harder for me to breathe while wearing them.

I considered getting a home pregnancy test, but decided I would just go to the doctor and get a blood test...to be positive of the results. On the morning of October 27, 1998, daddy drove me to my doctor, they drew blood and sent me on my way. It would be later in the day, possibly the next day, before they would have the results. Daddy took me to work and I started my work day...trying to concentrate on anything but that test.

A few hours later, I received a call from the doctor's office telling me I was definitely going to have a baby in about 7-1/2 months. I was SOOOO excited...and surprised!...I guess that it happened so fast this time. Your daddy came by my office to get me for lunch. When he opened the door to my office, our eyes met...I smiled and shook my head yes...and he got the biggest grin ever on his face. We hugged and kissed for what seemed like eternity...and we began our journey of loving you and taking care of you. You were expected to join our family in person on June 24, 1999.

Cody was about 18 months old at this point, and although we told him about you, he really didn't understand. He couldn't understand why I kept telling him stories about my belly button.

On November 12th, you made me sick for the first time and as I got up from hugging the toilet, I smiled. I was happy as a lark that I was throwing up. That continued for about the next 7 weeks, and although it was kind of rough...I still loved it...because it meant YOU were there!

On December 31st, I heard your heart beat for the first time...and I smiled.

On January 27th, I felt you move for the first time...and I smiled.

On February 2nd, I saw you for the first time on a sonogram...and your heart was beating...you were growing...and we decided not to find out if you were a boy or a girl until we met you on your birth day...and I smiled.

In the next few weeks, my belly starts growing at a rapid pace...and we discovered you would definitely be a soccer player!...and I smiled.

On April 23rd, too early for this, I started having small contractions and vomiting. My doctor sent me to the hospital to be checked out and found out I had a virus that was making me have contractions and was slightly dehydrated. They gave me medication and sent me home to bed rest for the weekend...and as much as this scared me, I smiled because you were going to be okay.

On May 13th, I stopped being able to wear most of my shoes. My feet and ankes were so swollen, and wouldn't go down even after rest...but I smiled because I knew it wouldn't be long until you were here...and I always preferred being barefoot...and pregnant.

That next weekend, we painted your nursery...and when I looked at Pooh and friends and imagined you there...I smiled.

On June 8th, my doctor sent me for another sonogram because he felt like you were getting big...and when he found out that you measured 8 pounds, 11 ounces in that sonogram, he scheduled me for surgery the next week...and I smiled a really big smile.

On the morning of June 15th, I got up, showered, got dressed, put my makeup on, did my hair, got my suitcase, kissed Cody goodbye as Ne-Ne took him to daycare with her...and we left for the hospital. We got to our room, got prepped for surgery, and got anxious for you to be here.

At 9:00 a.m., they took me and daddy into the operating room. They gave me some medicine to numb my stomach and Dr. Kallam began the process of taking you out. Daddy talked me through the whole thing...step by step of what was happening...and at 9:40, Dr. Kallam announced you were a big, strapping boy! He took you out and you were mad and crying...and I smiled and smiled.

I watched them get you cleaned up while they were taking care of some other things with me...and I listened to your precious cries. The nurse held you up to my face and let me kiss you and tell you how much I loved you...and I couldn't believe how big my heart was right then and there.



In the last 10 years, you've amazed me at how different from your brother you are...yet how alike you are. I love how you are tender-hearted and caring...and how thoughtful of others' feelings you are. You've got the sweetest smile and the most infectious laugh. I love that you still like to cuddle and hold my hand, and I love that you are brave and protective.

And as much as I would like to keep you wrapped up in my little cocoon forever, I know that God has something much bigger in store for you...and I wouldn't want you to miss that for the world. You see, as much as I love you...it can't even compare to the love He has for you. And I smile when I think about where that love will take you.


Love,
Mama

1 comment:

Grammy/Mom said...

Ah......that sweet little smile...it gets me every time. And he's so focused when he's doing something..sometimes it's maddening! But that little infectious laugh always boosts my spirits! I think if Daddy had had a boy, he'd not been any more like him than Caleb is...not just his little grin, but his shenangins, his 'constantness' (doing or saying the same thing over & over a little louder until you acknowledge it)but his pranks as well, and his trying to tell jokes! If ever there was to be a "Billy Ross the 2nd", Caleb is it! We love the boy...that's for sure and the Lord smiled on our family on June 15, 1999. We've all been smilin' because of him ever since! Love you! Grammy