Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Too Many Rocks


It's been a long, dry spell. Do you ever have those? When there's nothing, I mean nothing filling your well? That's how I have felt lately...thus no posts for quite some time. Not that there hasn't been a million funny things the boys have said, and several new pet tales that need to be told...I just couldn't write.

I feel somewhat obligated to be witty, creative, and forthcoming in my blog. That's me...and it comes across pretty much just like I would say it in person. But I feel dry...and I know why. I just haven't wanted to admit it.

Several years ago in a Bible study I was doing, we were given the imagery of walking along a path, pulling a wagon, and stopping and picking up stones. The stones were beautiful and good, and some were meant for me, but some didn't belong to me...they belonged to other people. But because I was there anyway and I was afraid they wouldn't get picked up by anyone else, I picked them up. It's just one stone...what could it hurt? By the time I got to the end of the path to meet God, He had treasure for me...for my wagon. But I didn't have any room in the wagon because I had filled it full of other people's stones. That's where I've been lately...picking up stones meant for other people's wagons. They were all good and right, but not meant for me to have.

It's tough deciphering...I know life is short. There is battle to be won in the world...and I feel the need to do all I can to be in that fight. I don't want to stand on the sidelines and let opportunities go by. Yet that's one of the neatest things about God...that He created all of us with unique talents, abilities and passions and when we all use them as He meant for us to, the battle is fought. But we get busy doing things...getting bogged down in things that are not for us, it makes us completely ineffective. You know...jack of all trades, master of none?

Is there a gift you've been given you're not using? Is there a talent you've been given but you're not displaying? Are you passionate about something but you manage to keep it quiet? Life is short.
And for those of you who have picked up too many stones, lay them down. Your load will be much lighter.


No comments: