Saturday, October 18, 2008

The Great State Fair of Texas

Yesterday we took the boys out of school a little early to go to the Fair.

*As an aside, as we were driving to the Fair, I was pointing out how pretty the Dallas skyline is, and their daddy pointed out that this was the best part of the skyline in Dallas...

Yes, that's the Lew Sterrett Justice Center (the Dallas jail) and he noted how awesome it was that they were adding on to it. :)

The boys (all three of them) absolutely LOVE the Fair...I love it to an extent. I'm not really that in to crowds...I gotta have my space and during certain times of the Fair and in certain places, that just doesn't happen. But aside from that, it was a fun day. One of our favorites is the petting zoo...I love those little animals, but the giraffe was chewing some of the nastiest spit I've ever seen and it was dripping from his mouth...Yuk! The baby piglets were soooo cute...Caleb got bitten by both the baby pig and the ostrich this year.























And one of the most amazing things to see every year, and one that makes me re-think bacon:

And one of the boys' favorites...and one of my most frightening...













Big Tex seemed smaller to me this year...I don't know why...

The Fair just isn't without...

This was the "one" ride the boys chose to ride...

This was the ride AFTER Caleb decided his stomach hurt too bad to ride this and asked to get off before it started...

And because Caleb got off the ride, they gave him his tickets back and he decided to play a game instead...

"Carneys" are people I would not normally think of as 'generous', but after Caleb played the game where you throw the ball at the 3 milk jugs (painted cinder blocks in the shape of milk jugs), and knocked down only 2 each time, we began to walk away. He called Caleb back and said "one more ball", and held his hand in front of the milk jugs. Caleb threw again, hit his hand, and the guy knocked the jugs over with his hand and exlaimed "WINNER." He then takes this huge car down and gives it to Caleb. It was one of the genuinely nicest things I've ever seen displayed, and I will forever see "carneys" different now. And I was thankful this happened near the end of the day so we didn't have to lug this thing around for hours.

Here was Big Tex' sand box...

Once again...a great day at the greatest State Fair of Texas!

No comments: