Friday, September 25, 2009

Happy 50th Anniversary


Today is my parents' 50th wedding anniversary...September 25, 1959. I don't know if you grasp the colossal feat that is these days...but that just doesn't happen much anymore. Thank you mom and dad for putting up with each other, for putting the other one ahead of yourself, for sacrificing for each other, for loving each other...and for commitment. Commitment even when you were unlovely...commitment even when it didn't seem worth it...commitment even when the odds were stacked against you.

A few things you might not know about my parents:

*Both of their dads had to go with them to get their marriage license because they were both underage...but NOT pregnant.


*Mom originally wanted 12 children. I thank you Daddy for putting your foot down on that one.

*Dad burned the end of my mom's nose with the push-in cigarette lighter while on a date.

*They went to the thriving resort at Turner Falls for their honeymoon.

*They have lived in 15 houses/apts. in their 50 years of marriage.

We celebrated their anniversary on a cruise a few weeks ago, and we will be celebrating again in a few weeks at a party. They are celebrating today by themselves in Galveston...enjoying each other's company just like they have for 50 years. They not only love each other, but they like each other...and that may just be the key.

Mom and Dad, I love you...and I thank you for giving me and my sisters a stable home life...and for never making us wonder if you'd be together forever. I'd really love it if you'd go another 50.

4 comments:

Tammy said...

Well said...yes Thank you for loving each other for 50! We are proud to be your daughters! Love you both!!

Momma Jerri said...

I love all you said....all so sweetly. We did the best we could to be good examples by doing...not by 'saying' necessarily....but I do have to correct you....we have lived in 27 different places honey....many more than you thought! Those were the times that tested the marriage vows the most! Right, Honey???

Anonymous said...

Beautiful sentiments and what a blessing you are as an extension of your parents. Rock ON!!

MommaCyr said...

I can't even count on the hands and fingers of Gordon and I how many times we've moved. Thank God for your parents, cause many of them they helped move us...and many times they helped keep us here...LOL Praise to God for His mercy and grace, the mercy and grace they had to extend to one another as well.