Saturday, August 22, 2009

Last Ditch Vacation

Since we have plans for a big "family" celebration vacation later this year, we decided to take a short vacation with just the punks this past week to San Antonio...one of our favorite places to visit. We decided to make use of our Six Flags season passes and make that our main activity while there.

Just like when I was a kid, our boys really like hotels. We probably could have gone across town to a hotel with a pool...and they would have loved it just as well. We made good use of the pool within an hour of our arrival.


I love watching the punks play in a pool...with everything they have. They seriously love water! I also like to (and this may sound totally creepy, but not intended to in the least) watch their bodies as they swim. They are so unique...and I love noticing the differences in their body structure as they grow and develop. They are beautiful to me.





All boy...and yet stunning...





Every little feature screams "I am fearfully and wonderfully made." And I couldn't help but notice how Steve and I share our eyes with each one of them...the green eyed pair...


and the blue eyed beauties...

We're pretty happy to be their parents...and downright giddy to be away on a little vacation with some of the funnest people we know.


After swimming, we went down to the Riverwalk.
...ate some great mexican food...
did some sightseeing...



...and of course, we had to at least drive by it...


Then back to the hotel for um...play. Seriously one of the reasons the boys love hotels is because I let them jump on the hotel beds...and one of their favorite things to do since they were little boys is jump from one bed to the next seeing how high they can jump.

And of course there's the wrestling.... Like I said...all boy.
Monday morning we got up and went to Six Flags.
I used to love roller coasters when I was a little girl...and even into my twenties. Somehow with age, my body has not followed my heart and I don't handle the coasters too well. I was bound and determined that I would ride some coasters with the boys...part of their enjoyment is seeing me scared and hearing me scream (sounds sadistic, but they love it)...and I wanted to experience it with them. After dry heaving after the first three rides, I decided to just be the photographer for the rest of the day.
This was the boys' favorite ride...Superman. They rode it a total of 9 times over the course of the two days we were there.
I opted out of this ride...for obvious reasons...


Another favorite was Scream...again opting out. Caleb was sure to remind me that this was the same ride where the girl got her feet cut off in Ken-tuc-kee when one of the cables snapped. Thanks son.


Back again on Tuesday...more rollercoasters until the water park opened at noon...


We all rode this together...and although I had trouble getting started, I "beat" because I went the farthest...shocker, I know.

All I could think when I saw this was...wow, imagine how much pee is in there.
I rode this too. The boys tricked me into this...saying it was really a mild ride and that the intertube didn't go very high up on the sides. Uh...wrong. I saw my life flash before my eyes...up on the left....on up on the right...and up on the left...you get it. After I was able to swallow again, I realized that was one of the best feelings I had had in long time.

That night we ate mexican again...shocking again I know. They had a mariachi band that was pretty good...

...and a really weird Davy Crockett mannequin playing the fiddle on top of a replica Alamo wall. I would love to have been in the restaurant planning meeting that day.


Wednesday morning the boys got to do what they wanted to do from the first day at the hotel...use the luggage cart. I'm telling you...they are easily amused.

Before heading home, we went to the Alamodome and watched the Cowgirls in training camp.



We came home...closer as a family and feeling blessed we were able to enjoy so many fun things together...making memories to last a lifetime.

Ahhhh, summer...you never hang around long enough.

1 comment:

Grammy/Mom said...

Looks as if you all had a great time together...and when you told us...I knew you did just that! loved the photos....captured just the great shots to show the fun and excitement you all experienced as a family! Reminds me & Daddy of some of our most special moments when we took you girls on vacation....although there weren't quite the same fun ideas that the boys do...fun all the same....Love that you all carry on the tradition!